Thursday, June 25, 2015

キリシマ祭!

In April, my taiko group was again requested to perform at the yearly Kirishima Festival at a little local shrine. Kirishima is the name of a red-flowering bush which is the flower of Noto cho.

This is my favorite taiko event that I have performed at so far. In fact I much prefer the festival performances, but surely that is because I love festivals so much. At any rate, other than the wind, it was a beautiful day and a joy to play! We were followed by a shamisen player accompanied by a man wearing a gorgeous turquoise kimono who sang a few folk songs. After that we snacked on yakitori, ohagi, and kibidango and partook in the bingo tournament held for all the guests. Like normal, our group headed to Hachiban Ramen (Hachiban is a Japanese fast food, ramen chain) for lunch before putting the drums away and calling it a day.

Our taiko drums set up at the entrance to the Kirishima-lined staircase leading up to the mountain top shrine






After going home, I took a walk to my favorite local shrine. It is another well known "kirishima spot," but I had not yet seen it in Spring when the kirishima are blooming. However, in Summer, Fall, and Winter I have always thought it was incredibly peaceful and gorgeous.

Imagine my surprise when I walked up the stairs and found the grounds of the temple covered in red blooms! The bushes that I had only seen in their green leaves before this had transformed the wooded area with dispersing red blossoms.






No comments:

Post a Comment